Sunday, July 13, 2008

Overstating the Obvious


I am currently reading the "Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher. My brother suggested them and I am really enjoying them. "Summer Knight" is number 4 in the series and Jim Butcher is slowly getting to be a better writer. Although, I thought I would share some of the amazingly ridiculous ways he has written a few things. For example...
""Oh," I said. "Oh. Oh, no. No this is not happening." I put the heel of my hand to my forehead. "This is just wrong." I shot an accusing glance skywards. "Someone up there has a sick sense of humor.""
"Nnrgggrhhh!"
~Game on - whoever can pronounce "Nnrggggrhhh!" wins a great prize!

"Then they would look at me and twirl their index finger counter-clockwise around their temple. Meaning, they thought I was crazy."

~I'm so glad he cleared this up for me because I was always so confused when people would twirl their index finger counter-clockwise around their temples when I wasn't looking! Now I finally understand. Thank you Jim Butcher, thank you!

On a more "critical" note, I do recommend the books. Not really the best written but overall great plots. There is some language in the books on a cautionary note. Also, the structure of the book is the exact same in every book, but I am definitely enjoying them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a crazy read to me. Maybe I'll read the books when I learn to use my time-turner. I've been planning to read C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia but I have yet to do so.
I keep hoping that one day we'll have 26 hours in a day.

take care.

love ya!

PS: Could we go to the Hoogle Zoo on Monday or Tuesday about 10 A.M. Esther and Yan have been asking about the elephants and giraffes.
Just email me when you get a minute.

MC said...

Man, that guy really needs some help with his dialogue! How hard can it really be? Do you think he ever reads his stuff out loud? Geez,

"Oh, oh. Oh no. Oh, OH,.NO!.."

M.

genie said...

love, love, the new blog-- you are very creative and very enjoyable to read-- who is the writer in the family???? M better get going!! FUNNY STUFF!!! g c

genie said...

loved alllll of your new stuff-- just read it -- love the sense of humor and pics of E. That is exactly how I feel most of the time- adults are not allowed to be expressionless on most occasions, even though we would like to be. Maybe we could take a tip from E and just be who we are when we feel like it. miss you already and you just left. love always and forever, mom