Thursday, August 21, 2008

Down with Twilight!!!



Okay, so I might be burned alive for this blog but I really can't resist putting out there that I have a growing hatred for these Stephanie Meyers books! I read the first in the series and my eye still twitches when I think about how horrible it was. I am opening this up for discussion and would love a healthy debate but I need to get this off my chest. I am really getting more and more bitter that these books are gaining popularity and getting such praise as "the biggest literary phenomenon since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"! Stephanie Meyers is being called the American J.K. Rowling and I want to make a stand for good literature and tell everyone that this is ridiculous. I have several things that I have found grating and annoying about these books so here goes...

Grammar


Are you kidding me? Her grammar is a joke, the entire book is written in a passive voice which definitely reflects in the story. Her syntax is off the entire time and I really don't think she knows how to properly construct a sentence. Does she know how to edit? I'm sorry but I think I kept reading Twilight simply because I was drawn in to all the mistakes and bad editing. I think I could expect this from someone in high school writing a story for class but a published author that is supposed to be the most amazing American writer of our generation? How pathetic.
And if I read one more time how beautiful Edward was I was going to put a stake through my own heart. If anyone can defend an image, a sentence, why any of her ridiculous mistakes were in there, PLEASE let me know.

Plot

So, I will give old Steph a thumbs up for being very gripping. I couldn't put her silly book down, but, the entire time I was waiting for something to happen! There was absolutely NO action (except for Bella getting herself in to trouble, which I will mention later) until the very end of the book. When the "bad" vampires show up after the baseball game I thought maybe something was going to pick up. Yeah it picked up but just barely. There were maybe five to ten pages of action at the very end of the book. A good vampire book should start with some action right at the beginning and not let up, I mean come on, we're talking about vampires here.

Myths

Which brings up the next thought, when did vampires start "glistening"? The thought of a vampire, choosing to be good against everything in it's nature can be interesting but with proper struggle and structure. Running in pacts, right on. Going out the the daylight, there are different theories on this, personally I would have liked more detail on how this strays from the popular myth. There are books that have this theory but it goes deeper than "they just can". I will give it to her that some of the Indian mythology was intriguing, at best. (If you would like good books that discuss these topics let me know and I will give you some suggestions). So back to "glistening", are you serious? I don't even have more to say about this.

Bella

What a horrible leading lady. This is completely biased and personal but I HATE Bella. I like a leading lady that isn't afraid to step up and at least try to defend herself. I don't want to see her sitting on her butt waiting for someone to come rescue her throughout the entire book. And on top of that Bella purposely tries to get herself into trouble, all the time!!! If I was Edward I would have bit her. Unbelievably annoying...

I could continue on with my rant but I feel better and a lot of people that I love dearly are addicted to these books so I will stop my tirade there and see if anyone reading this would like to defend the writing of critically acclaimed Stephanie Meyers. Know also that my husband is in the MFA program as a writer and I'm sure he will rip apart my grammar, syntax, and sentence structure when he reads this, but I have never claimed to be a writer. I just like to read.

I should also add a disclaimer that I judge no one, including Stephanie Meyers, for enjoying and even being addicted to these books. Enjoy them if it makes you happy. I just need to make it known that I really didn't enjoy these books.

5 comments:

RTC said...

Hooray for Wendy for calling it as she sees it. I haven't read the books (no interest, especially after a scathing review like this), so I can't defend her. But I really, really doubt she is a J.K. Rowling. I'm not sure why people like her books so much, but every time you've mentioned them you've cringed. Good enough for me.

(Oh, and by the way, you should review every book you read. Since I don't get to read fiction much (really at all) anymore, I could read by proxy through you!)

Uno said...

Amen...Amen...Amen..

This is what I have heard,"She just never get's to the fight, I felt like it was coming and it never came." Another friend of mine said, "It is just too perfect." Meyers ties it off with a pretty pink bow on top....

So Wendy I totally agree with you...Just watching people in the airport made me sick...They were all stuck with their heads in a book that did and does nothing. I recommend reading a good book like the Kite Runner or Life of Pi but come on America? J.K. Rowling of America? That is bad...

I just think that people are hungry for another good story like Mr. Potter and she came along with an OK story at the right time...She is like the rebound girl after Hermione.... OK but nothing great

Uno...

mia veronica said...

Dearest Wendy,

I have to say at the get go that I totally agree and you know that, as we have discussed these books at length. I was excited to get into Twilight and give it a go after I had heard so much hype. I have to say that one person that enjoyed the book told me before I started, that "it gets good" after the baseball game. So . . . .I read almost 300 pages before the baseball game even occurred and I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to have to wait 300 pages to get to the "good" part of a book. Now, as for comparing her to J.K. Rowling, that is the most ridiculous and frustrating thing that I have heard in a good while and vehemently disagree with every fiber of my being!
Mia

marcos alvin said...

"vehemently disagree with every fiber of my being!"

ew.

that is all.

love,

donnely

Anonymous said...

HOORAY!!!! The thing about these books that I don't understand is the adult fanbase. Sure...if you're 14 or under, these books are PERFECT for you! A beautiful hearthrob boy, a clumsy geeky girl...but for adults?? Come on! How am I supposed to respect and relate to a girl who can't even stand on her own two feet? And the stupid "beautiful" vampire...go for the hot Indian who can actually save your pathetic ass!!