Friday, July 3, 2009

Suggestions?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fully get rid of hives? We've given E. some Benadryl and that seems to temporarily get rid of them, but does anyone out there have any other suggestions on what could be causing them or how to get rid of them? Any help would be great!

4 comments:

RTC said...

I just hope he doesn't have the hives that Debi used to get. We tried everything to get rid of them: changed laundry detergent, changed medications, changed foods, etc. Her hives were not the result of any allergic reaction as far as we could determine. She simply got them sometimes and then they would go away. She still occasionally gets them (maybe 1 or 2 times per year), but without any apparent reason for it.

Benadryl does seem to help a little, but that's about all we ever found to help. Sorry!

The other option would be to go see an allergist. There are doctors who specialize in that. If it is just an allergic reaction to a known medication, it should go away once the medication clears his system. If it is something else, you can try chasing it down like we did (change the laundry detergent, the shampoo, etc.). Otherwise, go to an allergist and see if he/she can detect it.

Hives are no fun!

kk said...

I had hives on my 13th birthday and all I remember was slathering myself up in Calamine lotion. I think that works pretty well... Hope he gets rid of 'em!

Wendy said...

Thanks RTC and kk! Hopefully we'll get them figured out, thanks for your suggestions though. I'm hoping they just disappear and don't come back - here's to hoping right?

The Ralls said...

Maddux has had trouble with hives since he was tiny. Usually a good bath followed by a layer of 1% hydrocortisone cream (cortaid), and then a layer of aquaphor will do the trick. The cortaid stops your kiddo from itching them and the aquaphor seals and protects the skin from anything that might be causing the problem... But honestly, they didnt really stop till we saw an allergist. If you ask me they are well worth the time and money because they can cut out a lot of guessing. I hope that helps! How is your little guys asthma doing?