Sunday, July 26, 2009

Why?


So this is going to be a complete rant so if you chose to continue reading hopefully it will be cathartic for you, if you're not into that, go ahead and stop reading.
Why is it that I take all the precautions, sanitize the carts at the store, wipe his hands and face, wash his hands before he eats and yet still - STILL - E. is always sick! It's like he can't catch a break. He's had 3 viruses in a month (the lastest starting last night), hives and who knows what else. I'm to the point of absolute frustration and I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'm trying to give him a healthy balance of germs and sanitation but it wouldn't matter if he lived in a bubble - if something contagious flew by he would manage somehow to catch it. Of course, it doesn't ever end there, the asthma, the anemia, the sinus infections all start to multiply along with the cause. Seriously, what's the deal? If anyone has any suggestions on how to keep a frail, sickly kid from catching something every time he sees people, please let me know!

12 comments:

The Cragun's said...

Oh Wend, I'M SO SORRY!!! I don't know what to tell you, I have no kids so I really got nothing. Maybe try the opposite, don't sanitize anything let him get exposer to germs maybe it will help build an immune system... I know that is probably a stupid thing to say, but I got nothing you keep everything so clean all I can think is try the opposite.... Bless your heart. Hold in there. Hopefully he will get over it. Love ya girl. Our hearts and prayers are with ya

Celeste said...

Gosh, that's rough. Like Jessica, I don't know what else you could do. Hopefully after this little spell he will just be immune to just about everything. Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Send him out into the wild for two weeks, maybe three, so that he learns to confront evil at its basest form. After surviving on raw squirrels for a few weeks, he'll be able to combat anything.

On a slightly more serious note, Caitlin and I are proponents of Josh's (why assume it's the woman?) exposure theory. But, even though we've read a bit about it, we also have no personal experience. Our baby hasn't died yet though.

Wendy said...

Thank you all for the non-sanitation suggestions, maybe that is the better route darn it.
I should note also that the picture of E. was taken when he had the hives, he just has a runny nose and a bit of a cough - it just seems like he can't get better. I didn't want anyone to think that he's CRAZY sick again, just a little sick. Thanks for all your suggestions though.

Amanda&Brady said...

oh bless his little heart!!!

Steoger Fam said...

Nursery? I was in the nursery and even though you'd like to think that mommies and daddies keep their sick little honeys at home, a lot of the time they DON'T! They think "Oh he's not that sick it'll be ok. I need my spiritual enlightenment!" But, then the bugs get spread to the other kids. I know it might be hard on your sanity, but maybe keep him out of nursery for a while till he's completely better from everything.
Just another thought..he might even be having an allergic reaction to the viruses he's getting. My cousin had something like that, but it was much more serious than just some hives.
Sorry he's having such a hard time. It sucks when your baby is sick! And now my novel is finished. GOOD LUCK!

Kim said...

I'm inclined to agree with Cortnie. My little sis got super sick a while back and just wouldn't get better, and finally the doctors said it was probably an allergic reaction to viruses that she just couldn't fight off. What to do in this case? I dunno. I'll call my sis and find out what she did. Love ya.

Wendy said...

Thanks Cortnie and Kim, both helpful suggestions. We haven't taken him to nursury for weeks so it can't be that but it might make sense that he's allergic to something. I'll have to do some more investigation. We're taking him to the doctor today-pray for us that all goes well and we finally figure something out. Thanks again!

Trent and Britni said...

Poor little E.! I am the same way, I have always tried to take the proper precautions, but not be overly clean so there is a good balance. It seems like ever since Cam turned one he seriously has at least a cold/runny nose once a month! We can't seem to keep those bugs away either. Keep us updated on how it goes at the doctor. We'll be praying for your cute little guy!

Anonymous said...

I think that boys are just TOO attracted to dirt, germs - you name it. I'm sure that E will be tougher for it - not that that helps your feelings of frustration.
Keep it up girl. You are doing your best and that's all that is expected of you.

The Holdaway's said...

Have you had his tonsils checked out by an ENT? Jase was the same way, always getting sick (croup for him) every 4-6 weeks for 18 months. He had his tonsils taken out and he got much better (the tonsils were enlarged and infected - as in they would never get un-infected and were causing the recurrent illness). He also has really bad outdoor allergies and asmtha and we have to do breathing treatments every spring and fall.

Wendy said...

I haven't had him checked out yet, I think that's next on our "if he gets sick one more time" list. Thanks for the suggestion Heather on getting his tonsils out, we're going to ask about that the next time we go in.