Wednesday, September 9, 2009

High school.

I went to an activity last week for the young women and young men of our stake. It was beyond interesting to be back in the world of clicks and clinginess. They had to separate into groups of four and it was like magic - instantly hands reached out, bodies cinched together and before the woman in charge had finished her sentence little magic groups of four had formed all over the room. The few stragglers left wandered to the middle, knowing the routine, knowing the fate of being the fifth wheel, the leftover, the substitute. I happened to be standing with one of those "substitutes" and spent the next few minutes finding her a place to fit in. I kept looking and never saw anyone reach out to one of those stragglers, they just clung to one another like life-support, most didn't even look around to see who had been pushed aside. It broke my heart a little as each group passed through my station.
I started with a group of thirteen-year-oldish boys, smart, sweet, probably the next basketball rejects turned into academics, debate-teamers, class presidents etc. They'll get through OK because there are so many that fall into that category. They'll schmooze their way through and be fine - one even hit on me, come on. Little business men in the making.
The next group consisted of four girls summed up with rich snobby-snotter brats. You know exactly what I'm talking about, we all had them.
Next up I bantered with the cutest little twelve-year-oldish boys. Adorable, really my favorite group for sure. You could tell they didn't really have a particular "aesthetic" to their group, no common interests other than that they didn't have any common interests with anyone else either. Future drama club president, the quiet one, the scriptorian, the one who will probably never know what he wants to do when he grows up but likes to have a lot of good clean fun (i.c. dungeons and dragons, making goofy movies - you know who you are). They were adorable and I'm glad they have each other.
The misfits stumbled up next and while they were the most excited about playing The Game of Life (we were literally playing the game of life, though the pun is funny right?) they mostly just wanted me to listen to them. Three boys, one girl; one boy was so excited and hyper I couldn't get him to sit down, another so shy and sweet he actually whispered when he asked me "Do I really have to get married"? Poor kid. The next was just in it for the ride, he loved watching the others get all worked up and just fed on it. The girl, oh that sweet, sad, lone girl. She told me several times that she failed all of her classes last year but this year she has all A's because it's the beginning of the year and she hasn't had any homework so she couldn't have anything but A's but she doesn't care about grades because her parents don't care about them and she might just drop out anyway. Can you say cry for help? Her little blond rimmed face has been in my mind for a week now and I just want to scoop her up and tell her that school matters, life matters and not to give up just because you have stupid parents that don't care.
The list goes on, the jocks, the bff's, the relatives, the stragglers; they all found their niche in a group.
Anyway, I could go on and on and on about how disturbed and fascinated I am with the dynamic of youth. That clinginess, lack of acceptance because you want to feel accepted, it's rough. So my question is...who were you in high school? Where did you fit in - or not fit in? And more importantly, are you still like that? I love to hear about how people view themselves in high school and the difference from then to where they currently are.
Some of you that read this unfortunately knew me in high school. I'm sure everyone has different memories of me, most of them probably ridiculous because I was insane. I am different now but a lot of what I was back then stayed with me. I don't think I'll be dancing to Brittany Spears in pink spandex any time soon but I still like to have a good time and my quirkiness is still planted in place. I still ramble on nervously to fill awkward silences - usually making a complete fool of myself.
To think of myself in one of these "clicks" though, I think I would have fit in nicely with the group of boys that had nothing in common. That's pretty close to the male version of my girlfriends in high school. We did have an awful lot of good clean fun. On the other hand, in fantasy land I would like to think that I would have volunteered my fifth-wheelage to be a straggler and let someone else feel included. Would I have done that? I don't know but I'm going to say yes and hope that's the answer. At least it's a goal to aim for now, and maybe I can teach my son to be that kind of person. No one there volunteered that position, did I already say that? Is my disappointment clear enough?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol. This entry made me laugh. I think that within our group of friends I viewed myself differently than other people did. But yes we were a bunch of mismatched people come together! I still feel this way in life sometimes. But in a way that helps me get along with more people. But most importantly understand them a little more. I laugh when my sisters talk about high school and cringe when I realize I was just like them.

PS I was demoted from your blogroll! Ouch...

Caitlin Carroll said...

I went through multiple phases. I had a year as a drama kid, a brief stint as a cheerleader, a longer phase as a mathlete/academic decathlete/token female friend of the nerdy Asian boys, and finally my senior year ended with the Bob Dylan potheads. I won our school pageant three years in a row but was also obsessed with angry lesbian feminist music. My friends were mostly of the same variety, the smart and closet-nerdy kids who weren't the actual popular and snotty kids but pretty close to it on the spectrum.

Am I still like this? Definitely in some regards, though looking back I realize how self-centered and spoiled I was. Even though I was super independent and still a feminist back then, I was pretty politically conservative (surprise!) but I was also raised in a southern military family and so I kind of just went along with what everyone else thought until I ventured out on my own and formed my own opinions and found my real group of friends that I think will last quite a long time (my dad always calls my group of friends here the BYU-Berkeley crowd). In the five years since high school, I've definitely ventured into new territory as far as political ideas and religiosity (I was pretty "I hate being Mormon" in high school). Overall, I think I'm still the weird-o I was but just transferred my energy into more productive (and reproductive) spheres.

Erica Lamb said...

Heeyyyyyyy shanequa.....snap snap

MarySquare said...

I was a little like Cait in that I jumped from group to group -- except that I was never the pretty/Homecoming queen kid. If I had been in the Homecoming queen pageant, I would have been voted Miss Congeniality. That about sums me up, Miss Congeniality and I guess "Most Likely to Suceed." I did volleyball one year, cross-country one year, Academic Decathlon a couple of years, Drama one year, Speech team, exchange student, over-achiever. I was the kid who joked around a lot, was sarcastic and know it all in class, and tried to always be laughing. I tried to be an alterna-girl and I wore the plaid shirts, stove pipe pants, then the shorts with knee socks and loafers, bowling shirts, puma's, really weird stripes and plaid combinations. (I still can't match my clothes.) Hey my favorite band was The Smiths. I loved music in high school and I used it as a measuring stick. If you liked Garth Brooks, Collective Soul, Celine Dion, or 98 Degrees, you were out - or just mercilessly mocked. If you liked the Smashing Pumpkins, the Lemonheads, Blur (or any Brit-Pop band), the Smiths, the Beatles even, you were in - or if you were a guy I would secretly worship you and hope someday you would love me too.

The only groups I steered clear of were the popular jocks and jockettes and the student government/class officers type. They were the scariest/meanest crowds in school. I loved the stoner kids and I loved loved loved the skater boys! I got along best with the geeks -- but I worshiped the skater kids, alas I was a wannabe skater kid...

Am I the same -- in a lot of ways. I still like to be the sarcastic self-deprecating person. I still like to laugh and try to help everyone feel included. I still like to be the "know it all." I am still intimidated by the popular/in-seeming crowd. I just make jokes to make up the difference.

RTC said...

Best book I've found to explain cliques in high school:

http://www.amazon.com/Freaks-Geeks-Cool-Kids-Consumption/dp/041595391X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252771652&sr=8-1

I haven't reviewed it yet or I'd link to my review.

Scott and Malorie said...

I debated on whether to comment to this post or not but it's been quite enjoyable to think about who I was 8 years ago. ugh.
I, like most, had many transformations in high school from what I was interested in to who I was friends with. Throughout the four years I was basically friends with the same group of people but others each year and branching out even more our senior year. I can't remember how much interest I showed in anything but playing softball and having fun. I know I had my bratty/snobbish moments, as I think everyone does, but for the most part I hope I was fun. I know because of who my close friends were I had a stereotype surround me that I struggled with a lot because I wasn’t who my friends were and not really many people knew that until later on. I was a geek for the most part getting good grades and skipping out on activities to get my homework done. As much as I would like to admit I’m sure at one time or another I was one of those that didn’t include everyone and chose to look the other way. I am really subconscious about that now as I raise my girls and trying to teach them to be nice and include everyone. I hope it rubs off!
Now am I the same as back then? I would like to think I have kept my better qualities around and as part of my core and let go of some of the bad ones. I know I’m not as melodramatic and worried about small things as I used to be. I’ve realized life is too short for that and worrying will only get you nowhere.
I honestly don’t remember, besides my close friends, who I got along with and who I didn’t. I’ll see people every now and then from school and talk to them like we were good friends. Sometimes it’s a warm reception and others they look at me like who are you and why are you talking to me. Oh well.

Blah blah that was long but fun.

Sometimes I want to do a blog post and have people leave comments of how they view me. I know who I am but I sometimes wonder how others see me? And would I get honest responses?

Wendy said...

Cass - no demotion, you're just a slacker on blogging! You sisters are cute, just like you were!
Cait - angry lesbian feminist music rocks! It sounds like you've found out more who you are, I think that's the point of moving on right? Good for you.
Taniqua - you will never be a cheerio like me - you dansa! You don't know my Mama, you don't know my or-i-gin! I miss you.
Marysquare - so that's why you can relate to everyone and make them all feel like they're the most important person in the world, you did it all! The Smiths huh - I bet you LOVED that part on 500 days of Summer eh?
RTC - I'm on the waiting list at the library, it looks fascinating, thanks for the recommendation.
Mal - I think you're great. I'm glad we got to know each other at the end of high school. I agree with what you said that you were labeled because of who your friends were, sorry about that. I'm glad I got to see past that though cause you're a hootin' lot of fun!
Thanks everyone for commenting!

MarySquare said...

Yes, I actually did love that part in 500 Days...!